Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Spider-Girl, Spider-Girl, Doing Whatever a Spider-Girl Does

Have you heard the news? There will be a new female superhero in the Marvel mix. Here's an excerpt from Jezebel's article on the 16-year-old Spider-Girl:

Says writer Paul Tobin, "When I was growing up there were so few well-written female characters in comics (and most other media) and that bothered me. It definitely was all about the sexuality, rather than the individuality, and I'm now proud to be a writer during a time in comics when a lot of writers, both male and female, are putting those old one-dimensional writing styles to rest."
 
Good thing. I was starting to think it was weird the only butt-whooping female character I found compelling was Chloe Moretz of Kick-Ass. First an 11-year-old girl, now a 16-year-old girl. Maybe soon someone can make one we 25-year-olds can relate to. 

Photo credit: Promotional art for The Amazing Spider-Girl #1. Art by Ron Frenz.

No comments:

Post a Comment